Re: Comparing capture* API vs <input type="file" accept="...">

From: Ilkka Oksanen <Ilkka.Oksanen@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:48:00 +0200
To: ext Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>, public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>
ext Ian Hickson wrote:

>> I can see that it has some value in keeping compatibilities between
>> closed and open environments, but that’s really the only thing
>> not-awkward about it, in my opinion.
>
> Indeed.
>
> The reverse is true on the Web side of things -- "starting
> programmatically the capture without a specific interaction from the user"
> is something we'd never want to allow on the Web (consider how porn sites
> would be a very different experience if they took video of you while you
> visited the site...).

Capture API functions in the current draft can only activate the native
camera application. User must still press the shutter button. That was
at least the intention in my mind. Malicious sites could annoy users by
doing the activation part but they can't force the device to take any
pictures or videos.

I think fully automatic programmable capture in v1 is not very useful
even for legitimate use as there most likely will not be embeddable
viewfinder.

        -ilkka