ISSUE-4: Versioning Straw Poll

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:48:59 +0200
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
Hi,

I'd like to get a rough view of where people stand with respect to API
versioning, so here's a straw poll. Straw polls are different from
formal votes in that they aren't binding for the WG  they just
provide for a quick snapshot to get a feel for the state of a debate.
Also, answers are per participant, not per company (though we'll
notice ballot stuffing of course).

Here's the SP:

   This house believes that explicit version mechanisms on an API, such
   as have been done elsewhere using for instance hasFeature(), a
version
   attribute on interface object, or a version parameter passed to a
   constructor are not useful in a web context and should be forsaken.
   Future revisions to given interfaces should either be strictly
additive,
   change names, or ensure that what limited deltas are made do not
break
   real-world code.

Answers can be:

   - I Agree