Re: ISSUE-4 (api-versioning): API Versioning [APIs - General]

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:46:19 +0200
To: "Robin Berjon" <robin@robineko.com>, "<richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com>" <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com>
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:54:11 +0200, Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
wrote:
> I'm in full agreement. I'd simply add that "approved" should normally
> mean that it's reached Recommendation status, but can at times be
> extended to apply to something that is really widely deployed and used
> (e.g. this has been a guiding principle in specifying the XMLHttpRequest
> API, even though it meant that it's not all that elegant everywhere).

With XMLHttpRequest we are making some changes though that some could
consider "breaking". E.g. with level 2 we're overloading send() more, and
open() no longer throws when passed a non same-origin URL.

I think such changes should be acceptable. Making changes because
implementations all differ from the specification and are unlikely to
change should also be ok I think, if not encouraged.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/