Re: Editing specifications with ReSpec.js

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 18:04:17 +0200
To: richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com
Cc: robin@robineko.com, jmcf@tid.es, public-device-apis@w3.org
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 5:57 PM, <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 6, 2009, at 17:16 , <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:
>> > My previous email crossed with yours, Robin :(
>>
>> Such is the internet!
>>
>> > So now I understand the process I would still suggest that
>> the specs
>> > minus JS applies to all drafts too.
>>
>> You mean Editor's Drafts too? I think that would encourage
>> people to not commit as often as they should, which is IMHO a
>> bad idea. The ED drafts are mostly to help the WG work and
>> communicate with its community. Whenever there's a big
>> difference between the ED and the latest published WD a new
>> publication should be made in order to reach a wider audience
>> (you know, publish early, publish often ;).
>>

> OK. Early and often is good and I agree automated snapshots will be
> difficult initially.
>
> Perhaps then ReSpec.js could check the browser environment on
> initialisation. If it fails whatever we need (e.g. it's not a
> supported/tested browser or e.g., Javascript is currently disabled) then
> it would leave a big red div at the top of the page stating that 'this
> page is not rendering correctly...' and possibly why e.g. 'you're using
> IE6 and we only support these browser + versions...' or 'you must enable
> javascript'.
>
> Could be useful. Obviously, any snapshots generated and this info gets
> removed (assuming the snapshots are created from a suitable browser).
>
> I'm happy to add and play about with this in the ReSpec.js if it's of
> interest.

Although useful, I don't think this is necessary. The CVS server can
be configured to always serve the "cooked" version of the spec. This
is how we work in Web Apps (raw= Overview.src.html, cooked =
Overview.html). It is very rare the anyone but the editor sees the
"raw" version of a spec (no pun intended).

Kind regards,
Marcos
--
Marcos Caceres