Re: Editing specifications with ReSpec.js

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:11:06 +0200
To: JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA <jmcf@tid.es>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>

JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> As you say and having some experience with this selecting the format for writing the spec is very important and none of the existing formats are perfect. Particularly XMLSpec is evil :)
>
> The idea of using HTML 5 as an authoring format and use scripting for generating the final content is interesting, but what would happen if the user has disabled scripting in the browser?

As the W3C does not allow scripts in specs, I don't believe respec is
intended to be seen by the actual consumers/readers of the specs. This
is a tool that is used during the drafting/authoring process. Once
drafting is done, then the generated markup is copied to a separate spec
that is officially published.