Dec3D position paper

Hi all,

yesterday, Johannes and I discussed that it might be a good idea to write a Dec3D (position(?)) paper for this year's Web3D conference (http://web3d2013.web3d.org/importantDates.html). We think, that such a paper would increase the visibility of this group, since the Web3D community more or less is still the group's home base...
Since the paper deadline is already on Feb 15th (@Sandy: what about the proposed deadline extension?), we can probably use the (unfortunately unfinished) paper mentioned in the old mail below. So, let's discuss this in more depth in today's telco...

Cheers
Yvonne

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: "Jankowski, Jacek" <jacek.jankowski@deri.org>
> Betreff: RE: Dec3D position paper
> Datum: 27. Februar 2012 (KW 9) 15:42:42 MEZ
> An: "Kristian Sons" <kristian.sons@dfki.de>, "Johannes Behr" <johannes.behr@igd.fraunhofer.de>, "Yvonne Jung" <yvonne.jung@igd.fraunhofer.de>, "Philipp Slusallek" <slusallek@cs.uni-saarland.de>
>
> Dear all,
>
> First of all, once again, thank you for inviting me to the team.
>
> I have a small problem with writing a paper in latex in google docs.. For the last five years I was using svn for writing papers, and I think there is no better tool (there is actually a new promising project - https://www.sharelatex.com/, but it is not yet stable enough). Therefore, I created a new repository for our paper on svn, see: https://140.203.154.137:8443/svn/Dec3D-PositionPaper (login/password: dec3d/dec3d) - just checkout and compile (PDFLaTeX). Let me know, which system you prefer (I can later crate personal accounts for you)..
>
> Regarding the content:
> - I would change the tile to "Dec3D: Declarative 3D for the Web Architecture". We are working on integration of 3D into the Web, not into the Internet, right?
> - In terms of structure, I would propose the following flow:
>
>  1. Introduction
>  2. Declarative vs. Imperative 3D
>  3. Previous attempts: VRML & X3D
>  4. New attempt: Dec3D
>  5. Future Directions
>  6. Conclusions
>
> - I have already started to work on sections 2,3,5 (new stuff is in green, comments and ToDo stuff is in grey color). The last version of the paper is attached (however, there are no changes made by Kristian and Hü (Yvonne?) during the last weekend).
>
> Lastly, I do not think that this paper has to be finished till this Wednesday. As this particular paper will be the foundation for future works of our community group, it is crucial to do a really good job. I believe that, as workshop organizers and founding members of Dec3D CG, we may publish such paper without making a formal submission. What do you think?
>
> Best regards,
> Jacek

Dr.-Ing. Yvonne Jung
Fraunhofer IGD    | Tel: +49-6151-155-290
Fraunhoferstr. 5  | Fax: +49-6151-155-196
64283 Darmstadt   | yvonne.jung@igd.fraunhofer.de
Germany           | http://www.igd.fraunhofer.de/vcst