Re: CSS shaders: Cinematic effects for the web | Adobe Developer Connection

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 23:17:40 +0200
To: Johannes Behr <johannes.behr@igd.fraunhofer.de>
CC: Sandy Ressler <sressler@nist.gov>, public-declarative3d@w3.org
On Monday, October 3, 2011, 11:11:31 PM, Johannes wrote:

>> On Monday, October 3, 2011, 10:07:32 PM, Sandy wrote:

>> SR> This seems interesting...do we need to interact with these folks?? How??
>> SR> Sandy

>> SR> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/html5/articles/css-shaders.html

>> Yes, its interesting. Also, clearly extensible to 3D vertex and pixel shaders.

JB> I didn't read the full spec yet but this looks very promising.
JB> It's not predefined fragment effects (like the svg filter)
JB> but supports full custom vertex, fragment and mesh setup. Even
JB> glsl is the vertex/fragment language of choice.

Yes. Note that this is planned to be implemented as a 'custom' filter in the context of svg filter effects.

Only rectilinear trimeshes are supported (but I think that is a reasonable trade off).

JB> Does this run in any browser yet?

Apparently Adobe has an experimental Webkit build that does this, and will be demo-ing it as their developer conference this week.

JB> best regards
JB> johannes

>> As to how: the work is being done in the FX taskforce, which is a joint taskforce of the SVG and CSS Working groups.

>> public-fx@w3.org
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-fx/

>> --
>> Chris Lilley   Technical Director, Interaction Domain
>> W3C Graphics Activity Lead, Fonts Activity Lead
>> Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
>> Member, CSS, WebFonts, SVG Working Groups

JB> --------
JB> Dr.-Ing. Johannes Behr  tel: +49-6151-155-510
JB> Fraunhoferstr. 5                        fax: +49-6151-155-196
JB> D-64283 Darmstadt               skype: johannesbehr
JB> Germany                         web: www.igd.fhg.de/www/igd-a4/

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG