New Draft API Document 1e - and discussion of PropertyName and a couple of other things

From: Jo Rabin <jrabin@mtld.mobi>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:51:20 -0000
To: <public-ddwg@w3.org>

Rotan pointed out to me a number of typos relating to PropertyName which
I have corrected in this draft. Sorry about the earlier lapse, "festina

Rotan also points out to me that removal of the PropertyName class was
not what he expected in this draft. I don't have any strong objection to
putting PropertyName back in - equally I'd prefer to leave it out on the
basis that it serves a rather limited use case that can be addressed in
a different way, and introduces a number of complications:

I am unclear about the relationship between PropertyName and
SimplePropertyRef and whether and how they sub-class each other. I can't
figure out a model that makes this consistent with our agreement on list
that both property names and aspect names live in the same namespace. I
believe that I might be missing the point here, so if we are to include
it I need some help on text for this.

I am also unsure how this changes the method signatures of
SimpleProperty and I don't know how this would affect the constructors
for SimplePropertyRef.

With suitable clarification of these points I will try to crank out a
new draft.

Since I am writing, I'd also like to bring your attention to the
following method of SimpleService,

	public SimplePropertyValues getPropertyValues(Evidence evidence,
			String aspectIRI, String aspectName) throws

Which allows you to list known property values from an aspect in a non
default namespace. It seemed to me at the time I put this in to be
logically necessary, but I am not sure now.

I'd also like you to ponder the following:

	public static String ANY_ASPECT = "__ANY";
	public static String ANY_PROPERTY = "__ANY";
	public static String DEFAULT_VOCABULARY =
	public static String DEFAULT_ASPECT = "__DEFAULT_ASPECT";
	public static final String NULL_ASPECT = "__NULL";
	public static final String NULL_NAMESPACE = "__NULL";

Ignoring the fact, for a moment, that they should all be final, do we
think these should be there? I feel strongly that NULL is needed for
both aspect and namespace - to accommodate vocabularies that are "aspect
unaware" and which haven't defined a namespace.

I am less sure that ANY is needed, though it might be handy and, for
example, would allow you to refer to a property independently of its
aspect. I think this is a bit of a kludge, even more so the DEFAULT

On the subject of DEFAULT_ASPECT my expectation had been that it is
something the Vocabulary defines. I have a sneaking feeling that
SimpleService should have methods to reveal the default vocabulary and
the default aspect for a vocabulary e.g.

String getDefaultNamespace();
String getDefaultAspect(String namespace);

In which case the DEFAULT consts are definitely not needed.

I stop there for now.