ACTION-14: reprise of definition of device description (was Meeting Summary - 26 March 2007)

Kevin I think that what you say is very close.

>"A device description is a formal definition of the named attributes and
>their permissible values, which are descriptive of features that are
>relevant to the context of Mobile Web browsing via a device[link to DDWG
>definition of 'device']."

If we could do away with the word device then it would appear less circular (viz avoiding appearing to say that a device description is something that describes a device).

1. "A device description is a formal definition of named attributes and
their permissible values, where the attributes are relevant to providing a means through which humans can interact with the Web while mobile."

In general the DDWG wishes to provide a framework that accommodates a wider range of interpretation of Description (drop the Device bit), and Device, namely:

2. A description is a formal definition of named attributes and their permissible values in some prescribed context, where the attributes are relevant to the context.

3. A device is something that is useful for carrying out some prescribed set of activities in some prescribed circumstances.

4. A context is a formal definition of the activities and the circumstances in which they are to be carried out.

The output of the DDWG's activities MUST be useful for def 1 and SHOULD be useful when the words device and description and interpreted more broadly per def 2 and def 3.

Jo

(and for trackbot's benefit this whole thread was a coda to ACTION-14)