Re: Meeting Summary - 26 March 2007

Hi Kevin,
	1 question. Is this an example or a real-world device description,
so contextualized or are you suggesting to change the "generic"
device description definition with this?

Cheers,
	Andrea

Il giorno 29/mar/07, alle ore 12:11, Smith, Kevin, VF-Group ha scritto:

> Whilst I think Jo's abstract definition is fine, there should be an
> 'instance' definition for each particular context to make it
> clearer for users of DDWG and other contexts.
>
> If we replace the placeholders in the abstract definition with the
> explanatory text for DDWG, rather than supplementing the abstract
> definiton, we get something like:
>
> "A device description is a formal definition, within the delivery
> context[1], of the named attributes and their permissible values
> which are applicable to devices[2]."
>
> ...where [1] and [2] link to the DI Glossary. Granted, 'delivery
> context' may be too broad, but you see what I mean.
>
> NB having read it a few times I think "[which may take the form of
> lists, ranges, or other patterns]" makes for disjointed reading and
> is too much detail, 'permissible' implies a formal constraint and
> should suffice.
>
> Cheers
> Kevin

>>> terminology. The definition will require an update to the DI
>>> Glossary.
>>> The
>>> key part of the definition is this: "A device description is a
>>> formal
>>> definition within some context of the named attributes and their
>>> permissible
>>> values [which may take the form of
>>> lists, ranges, or other patterns] which are applicable to
>>> entities of
>>> interest in that context," and goes on to mention the role of
>>> 'device'
>>> and
>>> the scope of the DDWG with respect to this definition. The full text
>>> will be
>>> made public on the wiki.
>>>
>>> [Ontology Documents] A set of Protégé files capturing an initial
>>> ontology
>>> have been created by Rhys, together with a sample XHTML document to
>>> summarise the information in a human-readable form. Rotan will be
>>> looking
>>> into providing an automated visual representation, and the set of
>>> documents
>>> are expected to be made public soon. This is not the Vocabulary,
>>> but a
>>> framework in which the DDR Vocabulary can be defined.
>>>
>>> [OMA Liaison] In response to the recent OMA liaison, a formal
>>> acknowledgement will be posted on the public mailing list.
>>> Furthermore,
>>> two
>>> members of the group (Jo and Andrea) will be reviewing the OMA
>>> documents as
>>> requested in the liaison statement.
>>>
>>> [Vocabulary] It was noted during the meeting that the group could
>>> use
>>> some
>>> more public input, so expect members to mention the DDWG process in
>>> blogs
>>> and other public channels over the coming weeks.
>>>
>>> [New Actions] (ACTION-21) Rotan to Liaise with DI and successors ref
>>> this
>>> definition (of DD). (ACTION-22) Rotan to "Dot-ify" section 3 from