Re: Device description structures and families

Hi all,

I think there was a somewhat similar problem at OGC (Open Geospatial
Consortium) and maybe its solution can be useful for us too. In order to
explain the similarities (and then the approach) let me first summarize
a little bit our problem.

a) There are some 'static' device properties, for instance, screen width

b) There are, also, some other properties 'derived' from the 'static'
ones: we can say that belonging to a particular family is the result of
applying a 'formula', for instance,
(XHTML-MP = yes) AND (width > 128)  AND  (height > 160).

In such a view, the 'family' semantics is the result of applying a
formula (or pseudocode) . The way in which that is implemented in a real
DDR need not to be specified: it can be evaluated on demand or can be
previously evaluated and stored (like any 'static' property), that will
depend on the particular implementation.

The similar problem that OGC found is that they have 'features' that are
'static' properties related to a particular location (i.e., there is a
petrol station at location x, y). For that they defined the 'Web Feature
Server' (WFS) that it is a minimum set of specifications that a server
must comply. Also they have a specification for a 'Web Processing
Server' (WPS) that allows for 'derived' properties or calculated results
(i.e., give me the petrol stations inside the area defined by xMin,
yMin, xMax, yMax). They separate both specifications because the
processing required in the second case can be much demanding than in the
WFS case.

Translating this specification to our case will be something like this:

a) Families can be defined as a formula or a pseudo-code

b) DDRs could have processing capabilities or not

c) DDRs, with processing capabilities, could store formulas (or code) as
a way to define families. The way in which they are solved and processed
(on demand, previously stored, etc.) depends on the particular
implementation allowing for a quality of service differentiation between
providers

d) Different families can be defined for different companies using, for
instance, name spaces. Then there can be also a business case for the
families definition (effective terminal segmentation)

e) Privileged users could be able to define 'derived properties' (i.e.
families) by defining the name (within a name space) and the formula (or
pseudo code)

f) Developers could define the 'formula' to apply in the query or
(depending on their privileges) store it as a 'derived property'

g) Effective terminal segmentation (families) can be offered by some
providers by defining particular formulas.

h) Developers can query for a 'static' or 'derived' property in the same
way transparently, only, maybe, they have to query to a different DDR
depending on the property queried. (Also there is here a business case:
the DDRs that can deliver 'derived' properties can offer to their
customers processing capabilities and good semantics)

This figure is like to mimic the OGC way of doing. Of course we have to
discuss if that model is of any use for us but I think is worth to think
at it.

What do you think about it?

- Raf.Casero