RE: Meeting Summary - 05 March 2007

All,

One of the key concepts behind the DDR is the ability to extend.
Designed correctly, this will permit compliant DDR solutions to embrace
a multitude of sources of information, perhaps working collectively,
perhaps merged. It is one of the Requirements we have agreed upon.
However, for the purposes of our Core Vocabulary, we will focus on a
small set of key device information that we believe will provide the
maximum initial benefit to those who want to achieve basic content
adaptation (primarily addressing the diversity of mobile devices). This
does not preclude others thinking about alternative information spaces,
for existing and emerging use cases. We hope that the development of
these other solutions will benefit from observing the work we do here in
DDWG.

Futhermore, we expect existing (legacy) repositories, including private
instances, to find value in extending to be compatible with the eventual
DDR API so that all device information can be available to decision
mechanisms. Such mechanisms may include various selection approaches
like DISelect, JSTL and conditional constructs in many popular Web
server languages (PHP, Perl, Java etc.) and many proprietary solutions,
including the business logic that may be able to make decisions based on
information from the DDR.

The DDR API, the Core Vocabulary and (hopefully) a corpus of information
to accompany that vocabulary, will provide a minimum standardised
support mechanism for content adaptation when coupled with a
contextually-sensitive decision mechanism. More sophisticated adaptation
solutions can emerge from this basis, such as the case suggested by
Christian, either through natural evolution of the technology, or
through embracing existing open/commercial solutions.

Rhys reminds us that there are other communities who have an interest in
the DDR, and they will have concepts they believe should be included in
the ontology. Whether such things are also represented in the Core
Vocabulary will depend on whether they are suitable for repository
storage, and whether they are essential to support basic content
adaptation. Rhys mentions bandwidth, for example, which is something of
interest to our OMA colleagues. The concept of bandwidth is something
that deserves mention in an ontology covering Web-enabled devices.
Consequently there would need to be a way to represent it in a
vocabulary to meet the requirements expressed in the ontology. In terms
of the delivery context, we then need to consider things like "available
bandwidth" and "maximum bandwidth". In the case of the former, this is
not something that can be fixed in a repository. It needs to be
discovered from elsewhere, such as the network infrastructure or the
device itself. Maximum bandwidth might apply to the device, in which
case it is a repository candidate (and therefore a vocabulary
candidate), or it might apply to the network, which might not be fixed
and therefore not a repository candidate. Finally, there's the issue of
its necessity for basic content adaptation. Does bandwidth have as much
of a role to play when compared to other possible data? Many would argue
that it is more important to know the size of the device screen, whether
it has a pointer, or a keyboard etc. For this reason, it may be agreed
that bandwidth is a Vocabulary candidate but not a Core Vocabulary
candidate.

Of course, those who are concerned with audio/video streaming may see
bandwidth as significantly more important, compared to knowing what kind
of pointing mechanism the device supports. For now, though, we are
likely to focus on the needs of adaptation of ordinary/traditional Web
content (text, static images, screen rendering, document structure, user
interaction etc.).

So, for those who are reading this and wondering if DDWG is going to
address your specific needs for specific data in the DDR, please note
that group must focus on the Core. But because we are required to
consider how to be extensible and to scale, we will be making it
possible to do so within the generic design of the ontology and the API.
Your assistance in this effort will be most welcome.

---Rotan.