RE: Delivery Context Ontology (was in Device Description Definition)

Hi Rhys

Thanks for this which is, as usual, illuminating. I think a discussion
on the next call would be most helpful. However, we have only a scant
hour on the calls, and other business to transact, so forgive me if, in
advance of that I try to put my point (or confusion, whichever you
prefer) to allow that discussion to be a little less ab initio.

To my way of thinking, a device description (Device Class Description),
in the sense in which we mean it (an object that can be stored,
retrieved by query and so on, from a Device Description Repository) is
an ontological object. That's to say that the relationship between
attributes and their values is a 'can be' relationship. By contrast the
relationship between the attributes and their values in a Device
Instance Description is 'is'.

Consequently I find it very hard to discuss the definition of device
description without reference to ontology, because the type of device
description we are interested in _is_ an ontology, necessarily a sub-set
of the overall Delivery Context Ontology.

I don't think the definition of the distinction between fixed properties
(class) and dynamic properties (instance) is quite right - at least not
according to this perspective.

In a typical use case, I know some attributes and their values from a
particular Device Instance Description, and I want to find out more. So
I query the DDR with those attributes and it returns me a (set of)
device descriptions that match. In many (but not all) cases I will get
just one, particularly if I choose the attributes to be User Agent
String and UA Profile from the HTTP headers.

The DDR matches those parameters on the basis that for only a limited
subset of its descriptions the 'can be' relationship is true.
Particularly in the case where the 'can be' has one and only one value,
in which the relationship becomes stronger - viz 'can be and must be'.

Now I want to know the screen width in pixels of the requesting device.
The device class description contains a single value. i.e. it is a fixed
property. The instance description can only contain that value so I
don't need to do anything else. It's a fixed value that I have
determined from the class definition.

Next I want to discover the Bluetooth profile. The Device Class
Description contains a list of possible profiles. So I know that I need
to do more to find out what the value of that attribute _is_ in the
Device Instance Description.

In this view of the world the Device Class Description and the Device
Instance Description have the same named attributes. It is the data
types that are associated with the attribute that are different to
reflect the differing semantics of 'can be' and 'is'. The first allows
an enumeration, range or whatever, the second does not.

I hope this clarifies my point and that it does indeed contribute to the
discussion of 'what is a device description' rather than 'what is the
nature of the device description ontology'.

Jo

Definition)

> Hi Jo,
>
> I think we are moving from a discussion of the definition of the
term(s)
> into a discussion of the ontology. That's absolutely fine, but
probably on
> the wrong thread and also probably would benefit from a session at a
> forthcoming conference call where I can try and illustrate the
concepts.

> In brief here, the ontology covers EVERYTHING. It covers fixed
properties
> (class properties) and dynamic properties (instance properties). It
also
> covers validation assertions on property values.
>
> Actually, there are specific reasons that you might want different
> properties for 'class' and 'instance' values, though I can't be sure
this
> is always the case. For example, consider orientation. The property
for
> the 'class' is an enumeration of the two possible values represented
in
> some way. Lets assume two integer values, isPortrait and isLandscape.
The
> class value in the ontology has to represent that enumeration. It
asserts
> that those are the only two valid values of that property. If you ask
for
> the instantaneous value and receive isFaceDownInAPuddleOfWater, you
know
> its an error. Actually, the implementer of the interface knows its an
> error and presumably does something appropriate.
>
> A more interesting example might be bluetooth profiles. The class
entry
> for the device might contain the enumeration of the profiles that the
> device can support, while the instance value contains the one
currently
> active.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> On the white swan issue, extensibility of the ontology is an important
> topic that we will probably have to debate. Remember though that in
the
> context of DDWG, we will be defining the scope of the repsitory
> interfaces, presumably based on the results of the top-N discussion.
So
> the problem for us is, at least initially, bounded.
>
> Also, there are extensibility models in existence for vocabularies.
OMA
> operates one for UAProf.
>
> Best wishes
> Rhys

On
> [...]
saying,
> and hopefully vice-versa :-)
>
> What I still don't understand is why you would want to have a
different
> named property for instances than you do in the type, or class
definition
> (in the example, permitted orientations vs. actual orientation).
>
> The logic seems to me to be something along the lines of:
>
> The ontology defines the properties you can talk about, the facets of
> those properties and the value space attached to the facets.
>
> A class definition refines the ontology, in a premeditated way, for a
> class of devices that share important features (like their
manufacturer
> name and model number and version), and collapses the value spaces for
the
> facets into actual lists or ranges of permissible values of properties
for
> instances. Often this will result in a single value (e.g.
> width). Sometimes it will result in a list (landscape, portrait).
> However the fact that this is a list is just as much a shared property
> characteristic of what is being described as if it were a single
value.

> As I see it a class definition is an ontology which is necessarily a
> proper subset of the overall ontology. And it is the class definition
> ontology that the device chooses actual values from.
>
> An instance definition, on the other hand, is not an ontology. It's a
> collection of properties and actual values - i.e. a statement
constrained
> by the device class ontology, itself constrained by the overall
ontology.

> So here again, the device class ontology says you can make a statement
> about screen orientation and the allowable values are landscape and
> portrait.
>
> Moving on to the notion of sets: If you want to compose a set based
not on
> some premeditated idea of a device, but some shared property value,
then
> surely you do this at the class definition level. You might compose a
set
> of Default Delivery Context [DDC] compatible devices by noting all the
> class definitions in which the screen width was 120 pixels or more.
>
> The problem with creating a class definition from instance values is
> surely that the ontology can rapidly become broken - e.g. all swans
are
> white until you discover Australia when you suddenly discover that
> whiteness is not after all an immutable property of swans.
>
> And equally, the fact that a property is immutable (i.e. can have only
one
> value) is no more a distinguishing feature than that a property is
> constrained to two values (from 9 for example).
>
> [I now have to attend a BP call, so I will stop!]

programmatically,