RE: Comments on Device Description Repository Requirements 1.0

There are two Requirements identified in the document:

[DDR-QRY-EXACT] It SHOULD be possible for an Actor to query the DDR
specifying an exact match required in response to the query

[DDR-QRY-BEST-EFFORT] It SHOULD be possible for an Actor to query the
DDR specifying a best-effort match required in response to the query.

In the case of an exact match query, a failure to match would be
reported as a "miss", as you call it. In the case of a best-effort match
query, the response would be the nearest matching device. There are a
number of implementation possibilities regarding the representation of
approximation. The specific interpretation of "closest" would be
something we would consider in the implementation workshop. If more than
one interpretation is necessary, a means for the Actor to indicate the
required interpretation would be necessary. I do not wish to go into the
specifics of implementations at this point. Instead I wish just to
confirm that the issue you have mentioned is one that the group is aware
of, and wishes to consider as part of future implementation strategies.

Regarding the device/browser distinction, we acknowledge that
information about both may be necessary to achieve proper content
adaptation. We would only expect a device to be identified if the client
(browser) specfically indicates the device in which it is executing, or
if the delivery environment has some alternative means of detecting the
hardware during the interaction between client and server. The specifics
of the recognition process are out of scope for the DDR, which merely
assumes that a means of uniquely identifying the client/device exists,
and that the representation of the unique identity can be conveyed to
the DDR in queries.

Regards,
---Rotan.