Supported image types

From: Andrea Trasatti <atrasatti@mtld.mobi>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:28:56 +0200
To: public-ddr-vocab@w3.org

There was a submission about Supported Image Types [1].

I totally support the idea of a list of supported media formats and
images are certainly on top of the list.

I disagree on the suggested type, which reads:"The property is an
unordered set of strings". I would rather suggest a list of
properties for every image type and subtype and use a boolean type.
This should be managed much more easily by developers and adaptation
softwares. I suspect that an unordered list (as suggested in the
Measurement field) will result in a long list hardly understandable,
I cannot imaging how sub-properties such as the loop function in an
animated GIF will be described in such a list, mixed with compression
factors, transparency and so on.

Everyone knows how this is managed in WURFL (exactly as I suggest),
but I'd be curious to know how commercial products manage this, if
you can share it.

Andrea Trasatti

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/wiki/
CoreVocabularySubmissions#head-611f3832c41c44c8cedaa35cb98b1fc7ca1f393c