Re: SHACL Compact Syntax, was Re: Fwd: Transition Request: 3 FPWGNOTE documents

On 05/30/2017 12:26 PM, HODGES Jr, John wrote:

> I am getting a bit lost in this thread. There seemed to be general
> agreement that the compact syntax is a valuable thing for some. There
> seemed to be general agreement that, by and large, the compact syntax
> covered the primary territory. Now there seems to be general agreement
> that a note isn’t a formal document and that the note need not
> represent a completely-baked concept.
>
> So can someone explain what the issue is? I’d like to be better
> informed before tomorrow. Thank you very much.

I think the key issue is assessing how stable the shacl-compact-syntax
spec is, because we won't be able to update it, if it's published as a
WG Note.   In contrast, if it's published it as a Community Group spec,
the CG can update it at will later.

The thing is, CG's aren't allowed to publish into w3.org/TR space, so
the Note will be left, probably to be found by search engines,
potentially long after the CG has changed things.   We can add a note to
it saying there's a later version from the CG, but that wont be noticed
by people who land in the middle of the document, I expect.  Maybe
there's a way to do a serious popup that can't be missed.

As for how to assess how stable it is... well, obviously it's changed in
key ways in the past week.  Mostly I'd want to hear how implementors and
users feel about these changes, and so far I haven't noticed any mention
of there being any implementors or users.

I hope that helps a bit

     - Sandro