Re: Decomposing shapes

> On 13/10/2016 21:47, Dimitris Kontokostas wrote:
>> There have been quite a few talks lately about what is a shape, focus
>> nodes, referenced shapes, filters etc and most boil down to how shapes
>> are used and different roles shapes take
>> e.g. as a simple shape, as a filter shape, constraining shape (in
>> sh:shape, sh:or, etc)
>>
>> One idea to fix this that came up after yesterday's telco with Karen
>> was to differentiate these cases as follows
>> A shape is a constraint with optional targets (currently shape is a
>>  subclass of Constraint so this is true anyway)
>> All other cases will be referring to constraints, not shapes
>> e.g. the range of a filter is a constraint, not a shape
>> similar the range of sh:shape is again a constraint as for sh:and,
>> sh:or, sh:qualifiedShape
>>
>> this fixes the problems of what we do with targets of a shape when
>> that shape is referenced from another shape. With this change, the
>> reference will be only to constraints, not shapes.
>
> I don't understand this. sh:Shape is a subclass of sh:Constraint. So
> what would prevent anyone from using a sh:Shape as value of sh:filter? I
> am also nervous that these suggested changes would make the language
> less predictable as too many options would be allowed in too many
> places. I actually like the current design to go through shapes for
> these tasks.

Holger, that was exactly the question: is it intended that a filter
shape can have within its graph a "shape" (which can have targets and
filters)? And if so, how is a filter shape different from "shape"? If
there is no difference, then logically there is no filter shape, just a
cascade of shapes that, when applied, define a focus node.

In terms of predictability, having a filter shape able to include
shapes, targets, and filters is less predictable than having a filter
constraint that cannot also have shapes, targets and filters. One avoid
the potential for a kind of infinite churning of shapes within shapes
within shapes.

kc