Re: ISSUE-140: Suggestion to close

We are down to 14 open issues right now, and I am keen on making further
progress. My take is the sooner we have the formal list of open issues
down, the earlier we can focus on the informal issues raised from the
outside.

ISSUE-140 was last discussed

https://www.w3.org/2016/09/27-shapes-minutes.html#item08

but I have to confess I did not quite understand what problem Eric was
referring to. It seems that Eric was merely pointing out that validation
can be defined independently from specific node selection (i.e. target)
mechanisms. I of course agree with that. Could you clarify?

Ted seemed to request some more detail in the spec about how the
validation of individual nodes is supposed to happen. We already have
one such interface, the sh:hasShape function, which can be invoked to
trigger the validation of a given node against a given shape. We have no
such interface for the case in which only a node is given. But we also
don't formally define how the validation is triggered in the general,
whole-graph case. We could potentially add a function
sh:validateNode(?node) that validates the given node against all shapes
with matching targets. But then people will likely complain that we are
adding yet another SPARQL implementation requirement. Alternatively,
Ted, could you clarify how else we can meet your requirement?

Thanks,
Holger