Re: ISSUE-22: Suggested revision of wording on recursion

Looks like this issue s a dependency for other issues and better be closed
sooner than later

I created a proposal here
https://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Proposals#ISSUE-22:_Treatment_of_recursive_shape_definitions

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 4:25 AM, Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
wrote:

> During recent discussions, I noticed that I made a mistake not objecting
> to our previous resolution on the handling of recursion:
>
> https://www.w3.org/2015/12/16-shapes-minutes.html#resolution04
>
> The resolution above talks about statically excluding recursion: as soon
> as shape declarations are causing loops, the shapes graph would be invalid.
>
> This is an unnecessary restriction and excludes real-world scenarios such
> as tree structures. In tree structures, a parent may state that its
> children must have the same Shape, and algorithmically there is no problem
> because there can never be an infinite loop.
>
> PROPOSAL: The starting point for recursion in SHACL is that dependency
> loops are invalid at run-time.
>
> In other words, a run-time failure would be reported if the validation
> causes infinite loops (same node against same shape). This is how
> sh:hasShape already works.

Dimitris Kontokostas
Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig & DBpedia Association
Projects: http://dbpedia.org, http://rdfunit.aksw.org,
http://aligned-project.eu
Homepage: http://aksw.org/DimitrisKontokostas
Research Group: AKSW/KILT http://aksw.org/Groups/KILT