Re: fundamental issues

Hi Karen,

> On 13 Feb 2015, at 16:24, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
>
> It relates thusly: if my data will stay in my closed world and will not, in that form, be used in the open world, then I can do whatever I want with it because no one else will ever see it. Heck, I don't even have to use RDF. What I do in the privacy of my own data store is my business. E.g. the closed world OWL mode. But if I think take that data and port it to the open world using those same OWL constructs, the meaning of my data in the open world is significantly different from the meaning in my closed world. Run the same operations in those two worlds and you get different results. The closed world OWL might result in inferences that you do not intend in the open world.
>
> That's how open world and validation relate to each other: can I use the same instance data, unaltered, in both worlds with the same meaning? If not, then I need two sets of data, one for the closed world and one for the open world.
>
> Not only that, there seems to be the assumption that all of the data that I will operate over has been designed for my closed world. The solutions proposed do not seem to cover the case where I aggregate data from the open world, data from some source that does not produce data to my validation specifications. That is, however, a common use case in my corner of the world. If that is NOT to be addressed here, I would like that to be explicit.

This is quite incomprehensible to me.

You appear to use the term “open world” to mean “an environment where multiple parties may exchange and aggregate data without prior agreement”.

You appear to use the term “closed world” to mean “an environment where data is not exchanged between multiple parties, or where prior agreement about its shape and semantics exist”.

But that’s not the generally accepted meaning of “open world” and “closed world”. These terms refer to two specific modes of data processing (a.k.a. reasoning), e.g., in validation and querying. Open-world reasoning is when you assume there could be additional data “out there” that you just don’t know about yet, so “missing ain’t broken”. Closed-world reasoning is when you assume that your dataset is complete, so “missing” is a validation error.

I believe that you are well aware of these meanings, but choose to use these terms with a different meaning anyway. I find this highly confusing, as open-world reasoning can be quite useful in some “private/local/command-and-control” environments, and closed-world reasoning can be quite useful in “public/global/decentralised” environments.

When you say things like this, it makes no sense to me:

- “Data will stay in my closed world”
- “Data will be used in the open world”
- “Data has been designed for my closed world”
- “I aggregate data from the open world”

Best,
Richard