Re: using classes to control constraints

This discussion reminds me of a top-down design in which we (the WG
members) believe we know best what our users would want in the future. I
doubt that either of us has enough foresight about that, just like
previous WGs did not anticipate that most people would abuse rdfs:domain
and range to work just like in OO systems. Even if we pretend that
classes cannot serve as shapes, people will do this anyway, and tools
will support this anyway, because it makes perfect sense for anyone who
enters this world from mainstream technologies. Even if we pretend that
LDOM is not a modeling language, for all practical purposes it can be
regarded as a modeling language.

If the WG members cannot agree on this situation, here is my proposal:

- Let's not publish any Primer at all
- Let's focus on the formal spec
- Keep the formal spec short and precise, yet flexible
- If needed, use neutral examples with URIs such as ex:Shape and ex:SubClass
- Write test cases that implementers can use to verify the correctness

It will be perfectly possible for 3rd parties to publish books and
tutorials such as "Web-friendly Object Oriented Modeling with XY" and
"Serendipitous reuse of linked data with XY Shapes", and the users pick
the starting point they find most attractive. Just a few implementers
will read the formal spec.

As a nice side effect, we have one less deliverable to worry about.

Holger