Re: Some DC requirements

It sounds like what you're saying is that you need to be able to specify a
severity level so that not all errors are treated the same. I can see how
this could be generally desirable, not just for URI checking. Maybe we
need a way to flag certain constraints as SHOULD rather than MUST, leading
to the issuance of warnings rather than errors?
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Standards - IBM
Software Group

Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote on 12/11/2014 09:30:57 AM:

> From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
> To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>, RDF Data
> Shapes Working Group <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
> Date: 12/11/2014 09:31 AM
> Subject: Re: Some DC requirements
>
> OK, with a bit more thought, I think I understand the "ephemeral"
> comment. Because what is true for this validation may not be true at
> another moment in time.
>
> We've talked a little about workflow, but I definitely see different
> requirements for different points on a workflow - different requirements

> for input vs. output, for receipt vs. stored data, for batch input vs.
> input forms, etc. The main validation case for cultural heritage objects

> (CHO) is data exchange or data receipt. Essentially, the old "batch
> input". (I suspect the CHO case is even less dynamic than the OSLC data
> flow point of view.) This also connects to the desire for graduated
> error handling - to be able to return information to the data provider
> where something is not fatally wrong but not quite right. So if someone
> sends you info about a book and the link to the cover image is missing,
> that's not fatal but they have something wrong that perhaps could be
fixed.

> It seems to me that the only thing that a validation standard needs for
> this case is a way to mark, in the validation rules, what should be
> checked, and what type of check is to be done. There may be a way to
> generalize this, which would be fine. The use case still remains. I also

> suspect that there may be needs for this outside of the batch data flow
> -- that's worth thinking about.
>
> kc

> >> I'm guessing that these correspond to [0,1], [1,1], [1,*], and [0,*],
> >> but it would be nice to get some confirmation of this.
> >

> > Yes, I'm assuming that as well. I don't know what else they could
mean.

> >> I am uncomfortable including this kind of checking, although I do see
> >> that it has uses.  One issue here is that the results of the checks
are
> >> all ephemeral.
> >

> > Don't know what you mean by ephemeral here. Knowing that an IRI
resolves
> > seems like an obvious check, to me, when receiving data from a third
> > party whose output isn't terribly trustworthy (which in our case it
> > often isn't). The other two are still under discussion, but are actual
> > validations from current applications.

IRIs.