Re: scope of _:existentials in N3Logic?

From: Yves Raimond <yves.raimond@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 09:57:53 +0000
To: Graham Klyne <GK-lists@ninebynine.org>
Cc: jos.deroo@agfa.com, connolly@w3.org, public-cwm-talk@w3.org, public-cwm-talk-request@w3.org
Hello!

FWIW, I ran into some similar problems when playing with Swish and inference
> rules - handling bnodes got rather messy.  Eventually I figured (but didn't
> get round to implementing) that I could convert to some kind of unique
> generated id on loading the data, and use similar when introducing
> existentials in inferences, treat these like any other URI for inference
> purposes, than convert back to bnodes when saving the data.

When implementing the N3 reasoning part of Henry [1], I found that
skolemisation [2] was critical to make bnode handling relatively simple and
efficient - it is also fairly easy to implement. I believe Euler is also
using it.

Cheers,

[1] http://code.google.com/p/km-rdf/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skolem_normal_form