Re: working on "A Model of Authority in the Web"

From: <jos.deroo@agfa.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:06:21 +0100
To: connolly@w3.org
Cc: public-cwm-talk <public-cwm-talk@w3.org>
Of course Dan, I was completely wrong.. :-(
Good that we did not claim victory just yet :-)
Will try again to have a correct proof output!

Kind regards,

Jos De Roo | Agfa HealthCare
Senior Researcher | HE/Advanced Clinical Applications Research
T  +32 3444 7618
 http://www.agfa.com/w3c/jdroo/

Quadrat NV, Kortrijksesteenweg 157, 9830 Sint-Martens-Latem, Belgium
http://www.agfa.com/healthcare

Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
12/22/2009 02:37 PM

Jos De Roo/AMDUS/AGFA@AGFA
cc
public-cwm-talk <public-cwm-talk@w3.org>
Subject

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 21:43 +0100, jos.deroo@agfa.com wrote:
> Dan Connolly wrote:
> [...]
> > It's not sound to go from
> >   Exists x. P(x) -> Q(x)
> >   P(a)
> >   Q(a)
>
> That is indeed unsound but there is no such rule
> with an Exists x where x occurs in the conclusion.

It's unsound even if x doesn't occur in the conclusion.
Consider an example: is it sound to go from:

  There is one professor who, if he likes your work,
  you can get into the school.

  Professor Bob likes your work.

  You can get into the school.

?

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E