Re: Plan3 — A Procedural RDF Programming Language

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@miscoranda.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:06:52 +0100
To: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@gmail.com>
Cc: public-cwm-talk@w3.org
On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Adrian Walker wrote:

> one can take declarativeness over RDF much further than N3

Sorry, I didn't understand why your system is more declarative than N3
(really, than CWM/N3), even after reading the PDF. It seemed to use
only very simple rules and some existential quantification, a subset
of CWM/N3's capabilities.

But it did remind me about designing CWM/N3 builtins. I'm not sure
about the details, but I remember a discussion between Tim and Dan
about how to make a property look and behave as declaratively as
possible. The builtins are, to a large extent, just syntactic sugar
for python calls, so there was always the tendency to just use the
python names and behaviours for things which are, of course, under the
imperative mindset.

So I always kinda wondered why not just use the familiar names. No
real point to this anecdote though—you just reminded me of it.

--
Sean B. Palmer, http://inamidst.com/sbp/