Re: N3 rules: literals as subject and object in built-in functions

To clarify my question, in RDF syntax:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Syntax-intro
it says "RDF literals, which can only be object nodes, become either XML
element text content or XML attribute values."
So, is the restriction that only object nodes can be literals merely
a limitation of the XML representation?  (If so, a good reason to get
away from XML....)