a (probably off topic) question about inference

From: Medhat Assaad <medhat@wiscopts.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:49:25 -0500 (CDT)
To: public-cwm-talk@w3.org

Hi,

I have a question that is probably off-topic for this list, but I am sure
that the people who read this list will be able to point me in the right
direction. So, my apologies in advance!

I am trying to use RDF (using n3) to tag pieces of information (the holy
grail of all the people here, I would guess :-)) And I am trying to use
something like cwm to inference more triples to augment the ones I
explicitly enter. Now, I am not sure how to implement the inferencing part
in a practical way. It seems to me that with the accumulation of triples
the process will become more impractical. Should I just have a cron job
that will dump all the inferred triples and then run cwm (or an
equivalent) to repopulate the triple store taking into account the changes
to the explicit triples (by explicit triples here I mean the ones given by
the user not the inferred ones) that occured since the last run of the
cron job? Is there a practical way to make it update the store each time
the user changes one of the explicit triples?

I am really fascinated by this area of research... but due to lack of
time, I am not able to dig as deep as I should. So I am soliciting your
help in letting me know what is the state-of-the-art solution to this
problem.

--
Thanks,
Medhat Assaad