Canonical form requirement in Turtle (and N3?) spec

From: Arjohn Kampman <arjohn.kampman@aduna.biz>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:19:51 +0100
To: public-cwm-talk@w3.org
CC: dave@dajobe.org

Dear all,

(this is a follow-up on a private e-mail Q&A between Dave and me)

The Turtle specification (2006/01/02 version) indicates that a parser
for this format should normalize any integers and booleans to their
canonical form. For doubles and decimals, however, this is not required.
Dave thought that he tried to align the Turtle spec with cwm/N3 here,
but wasn't 100% sure about this.

I find the differences between integers and booleans on the one side,
and doubles and decimals on the other a bit strange. IMHO, a parser
should either normalize all values to their canonical form, or none of
them. I myself have a strong preference for the latter as I don't think
of value normalization as a task for a parser.

Comments anyone?

Regards,

Arjohn

--