Re: Turtle version 2006-01-02

From: Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 23:12:32 -0800
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
CC: cwm <public-cwm-talk@w3.org>, Arjohn Kampman <arjohn.kampman@aduna.biz>, Jeen Broekstra <jeen.broekstra@aduna.biz>, Yosi Scharf <syosi@mit.edu>

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> Dave,
> The decimal formats I am happy with as a change to N3, as we discussed
> on IRC.
> Is there any way on which Turtle an/or SparQL have diverged from rather
> than converged with N3?

Maybe.  I keep a note of changes from Turtle:

The ones that stand out now are the decimal/double issue which you are
going to change, and the boolean literals: true & false recently added
after SPARQL.

A test case for the latter:
@prefix : <http://example.org#> .
:a :b true .
:c :d false .

Testing with cwm (cvs version), it dies with a syntax error.

.. and so does my raptor turtle parser as I forgot to add this, oops!
Serves me right for not writing a test for it first.

I've used the above as Turtle test case 'test-24.ttl' and it should be
equivalent to:
@prefix : <http://example.org#> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .
:a :b "true"^^xsd:boolean .
:c :d "false"^^xsd:boolean .

I would give the ntriples but this dumb emailer wraps the long lines.

> Has anyone done the work to demonstrate
> (automatically) a mapping between these three?

Not that I'm aware of.

One suggestion for SPARQL/Turtle checks is that you could construct
SPARQL queries to check compatibility like this from a turtle example.

... turtle @prefixes lines from the example go here as PREFIX ...
  ... rest of the turtle example goes here ...
WHERE true

which should give the same RDF graph out as expressed in the original
turtle which can then be machine checked.

Merely a matter of programming :)

For Notation 3/Turtle checks you could just run cwm on all the existing
Turtle tests.  I do that occasionally especially when adding new things
to see what works.