Re: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language changes at 2004-07-07

From: Graham Klyne <GK-lists@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:32:31 +0100
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: public-cwm-talk@w3.org

At 11:23 08/07/04 +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:
>The remaining ws+ are between verb and object (via objectList)
>which is good to enforce, although actually is also not ambiguous
>if it was removed.  I'd prefer not, otherwise this kind of thing
>becomes allowed:
>
>_:a a<obj1>;<pred1><obj2>,<obj3>,ex:obj4 .
>
>Yuck!  I know Terse is in Turtle's title, but this is too much.

Hmmm... I'd not advocate trying to legislate for good taste.

I suggest requirements should be those needed to avoid ambiguity and other
interoperability problems, and deal with aesthetics by exhortation and
recommendation.

In my experience, programming language syntax generally deals with
whitespace in a separate lexing phase, allowing the syntax to focus on the
essential structure of the code.  That also seems to match implementation
practice.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: