swap/cwm source layout vs. python distutils norms

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:05:22 -0600
To: public-cwm-talk@w3.org

I've been trying to do the python distutils thing with cwm.
My first try was in LHR, with no net access, so I could
only monkey-see-monkey-do based on other setup.py things
I had on my laptop.

I think I want modules like llyn.py and such to install
in site-packages/swap/llyn.py , but I couldn't figure
out how do do that without installing all the .py
files from the swap/ directory. There are quite
a few that are irrelevant to cwm. Plus, I think
we'd have to change all the
	import llyn
lines to
	import swap.llyn

So I didn't check in any setup.py code.

Tonight I just read the distutils docs...

  Distributing Python Modules
  http://www.python.org/doc/current/dist/dist.html

Support for PyPI looks cool; just one command will make
cwm part of the pythong package index.
  http://www.python.org/pypi

But I still don't see any way around re-organizing
the sources or at least rewriting the import lines.

Hmm.

For reference: existing notes on cwm sources:
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/cwm.html#dev

(why the .html in this case? hmm...)

see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?