Re: Metadata validity tests

> On May 23, 2015, at 4:41 AM, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gregg,
>
> Actually, looking closer it’s clear that the validity tests that you have already are all about the validity of the metadata document, not about the validity of the CSV file. So, what should I use for tests that should cause errors to be raised by a validator (ie values in the errors annotation for a cell)?
>
> Also I’m confused about the difference between ‘negative’ and ‘invalid’ tests - can you explain please?

I guess it’s time to comment my hacks :P.

As you surmised, the “rdf”, “json”, and “validate” columns indicate if the test should, or should not, be included in the appropriate test manifest. The “test-type” column currently takes three values:

* —empty— indicates that this is a successful test, with “rdf” and “json” rendering results.
* “warning” indicates that the tests are successful, but validation should issue one or more warnings.
* “negative” indicates that all tests should end in an error, whether or not they are validating
* “invalid” indicates that “rdf” and “json” should render results, but “validation” should raise an error

If a CSV file were invalid, it would presumably not generate results, so “negative” would seem to capture this case. If there’s some other category of tests you think are required, we can, of course, add something to support that.

Gregg