W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-csv-wg@w3.org > June 2015

Re: Regrets for this week's call

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 13:56:44 +0200
Cc: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, W3C CSV on the Web Working Group <public-csv-wg@w3.org>
Message-Id: <80774B0F-D7DB-43FA-81E0-9EE913C93808@w3.org>
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>

> On 23 Jun 2015, at 11:23 , Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 08:17 Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I'm afraid I can't make the call this week as I have our quarterly work offsite.
> 
> Dan, do you still want to go ahead with the call?
> 
> 
> 
> I would vote for cancelling (am still in Croatia with varying connectivity).
> 
> Are there any major points that deserve discussion this week regardless of phone vs email/github? Well known location seems the most active  ... any others?

There are still some other issues open, primarily in I18N. Some issues came up regarding the media type registration, too.

What really worries me is our own timing, and that needs urgent actions. Our charter closes on the 31 August. Our original plan was to go to LCCR in June and, relying on this, ask for an extension. Clearly, with the .well-known discussion dragging on (#$%^&!), as well as the other open issues, we are not ready with our document for another 1-2 weeks. (Unless we put a dedicated effort to close everything asap, although I am not sure what to do with the .well-known issue at this point.) Note also that the documents should document all the changes that have been done since our last publication; I am not sure that was systematically done so far, so that may require some additional work.

As a further difficulty, this is a LCCR. This means we have to do some admin: we have to find the time to get a telco set up with Philippe and Ralph, plus at the minimum Jeni, Danbri, and I, but preferably Gregg and Jeremy, too. W3M has a F2F meeting July 1-3; I guess the earliest time we can reasonably schedule something may be the week of the 6th of July with the hope to publish on the 14th, and also have a charter extension accepted on the 15th. Hm… I plan to be on vacations some day and I thought of going away on the 13th, this may go down the drain:-(

Bottom line: we have to do some serious planning. I think that if this is not done on the week of the 6th, we might as well postpone until after the vacations. The caveat is that if we do not have LCCR, and with a very low activity in the group (meaning that the activity is reduced the five of us) it will not be easy to get the W3M approval for an extension (though probably doable).

Of course, this can be done by email.

Ivan

P.S. B.t.w., although this is not urgent we will also have to decide on the extension length. I would propose to ask for more than we feel we need, taking into account Hofstadter's Law[1]. Asking for a 2nd extension is much tougher, and we may be forced to close the work by issuing some WG notes and dismantling the group… I would hate if that happened.


[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstadter%27s_law

> 
> Dan
> 
> 
> Jeni
> 


----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704





Received on Tuesday, 23 June 2015 11:56:55 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 23 June 2015 11:56:55 UTC