Re: .well-known

David,

the .well-known mechanism is the result of a long discussion with the TAG that had difficulties with the principle of baking in URI-schemes like "-metadata.json". Note that the agreement is to have a default fall-back, ie, if the .well-known file does not exist then the client can fall back to a default value which, actually, reproduces the previous patterns. I think we should go ahead with this approach to cover all points of views.

Ivan

> On 17 Jun 2015, at 05:20 , David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
>
> I'm sorry to ask this question at this point, but is .well-known *really* needed for this?
>
> I am concerned that it is just adding complexity and network accesses for dubious benefit.  AFAICT -- but please correct me if I've overlooked something -- the only "benefit" that .well-known adds here is to allow users to use non-standard names for their metadata files.  And what *real* benefit is that?  It seems to me to be adding pointless variability.  Are there really cases where users *cannot* name their metadata files to end with "-metadata.json"?  If so what are they?
>
> David Booth
>
> On 06/16/2015 09:20 PM, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
>> Hmm. I am wondering if we can use the host-meta file instead, skipping
>> the registration, as per this:
>>
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6415#section-4.2
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net> wrote:
>>> On Jun 16, 2015, at 12:55 PM, Yakov Shafranovich <yakov-ietf@shaftek.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What's the proposed format?
>>>
>>> It's simply a file with one URI pattern per line. You can see the proposed
>>> text here:
>>> https://rawgit.com/w3c/csvw/98e728bcfef8d30e68c10f9cd798da0d39c7d172/syntax/index.html#site-wide-location-configuration
>>>
>>> Gregg

----