Re: Data Package RFCs coming up ...

On 3 July 2015 at 13:55, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:

> On 3 July 2015 at 12:22, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
> >> I hear you - I had hoped that we might keep a bit closer than we
> ultimately have there. There are some changes to the JTS that could be made
> e.g. swapping fields to columns. The one challenge is the growing set of
> tooling out there and not wanting breaking changes for people but
> ultimately it is possible on some things especially if one allowed aliases.
> >>
> >> If there is more that could be reverse merged that would be useful.
> >
> > Gregg listed some changes that sound harmless. But I did not have time
> to compare the two.
> >
> > As for implementations: CSVW has already one full implementation and
> others are in the making. So there we go…
>
> Has anyone reviewing the CSVW specs to date raised this as a concern?

I certainly flagged it on a few occasions and have mentioned it
specifically to you obviously.

> I see 4 specific points (either addressed or discussions amongst us)
> listed in
> https://github.com/w3c/csvw/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+dataprotocols+
> ... but afaik no member of the wider public has flagged this
> divergence as a concern. Not that consistency isn't good, just trying
> to get a handle on the potential impact either way.

I'd happily raise more issues - I did flag on some. Quite a bit of this has
happened in the later parts when I, personally, have had more limited
resources to flag this (and some issue thread have grown quite extensive
and complex - as is perhaps natural).

My sense is that consistency would be good, but also parsimony. As you
know, it is also my sense is that we have sacrificed a some of the
parsimony and simplicity that it would have been good to have kept in the
spec.

Rufus

--

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock