Re: D3 as a possible use case

Hi guys,

D3 is very flexible so you can use things like raw arrays of integers for
visualisations, but the most common way of formatting data is to have an
array of JSON/JavaScript objects, e.g:
[
  {
    "Field1": 50,
    "Field2": 55
  },
  {
    "Field1": 99,
    "Field2": 90
  }
]

When you use the D3 CSV parsing, it will generate a list of Javascript
objects like the above by default.

D3 has data accessor functions which let you specify how to pull figures
out of your data, e.g for the data above you might use something like the
following to access the figures in Field1:

function(d) { return d.Field1; }

The parameter 'd' represents a row of data, so you can use any javascript
expressions to access and prepare the data.

I've been meaning to drop an email to the list. This is one of the areas
I'm interested in. I'm currently working on a project that puts a Grammar
of Graphics layer on top of D3. I'm modelling this layer in RDF so it
connects to my data pipeline processing vocabulary (which in turn connects
to DCAT).

I've been reusing elements of RDF Data Cube for my metadata specifications
at the moment, but naturally I'm very interested in the work coming out of
CSV WG.

Thanks,

Kev

--