Re: The dcterm/schema.org issue: a proposal to move forward

On 09 Oct 2014, at 10:33 , Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:

> I feel very uncomfortable about (a) defining yet another namespace for metadata terms and (b) creating yet another sub-list/profile of metadata terms, when in both cases there are existing standards that we could reference instead.

The problem is, of course, that we have more than one (and more than two:-) to choose from... But I share your discomfort.

We *could* introduce a rule into the RDF conversion (the only place where this 'namespace' issue occurs) that those core terms should be mapped onto RDF if and only if the metadata @context clearly assigns URI-s to them. Otherwise they are simply skipped. I would be pretty fine with that. For a purely JSON, non-RDF usage the issue is not relevant...

> If we’re going to have some core terms then we should have some very clear criteria for choosing them, such as their utility in the display or validation or conversion of CSV files.

+1. Based on our discussion on the call, Rufus will put into the document the core set (essentially a subset of the terms that are already called out in the metadata document) and we can then take it from there. I am in favour of keeping the core set very small, and rely on people using qualified terms for anything else they want.

Ivan

----