Re: The dcterm/schema.org issue: a proposal to move forward

On 08 Oct 2014, at 12:04 , Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:

> On 08/10/14 10:30, Dan Brickley wrote:

>>> This makes sense though I do have one small question:
>>>
>>> By "we define" do you include giving it a w3c-csv:xyz URI then define
>>> skos:/rdfs:/owl: mappings to other vocabularies?  Or, if not, in what way is
>>> it different to defining a property or class?
>>
>> That (creating an actual vocabulary definition) sounds the simplest
>> way of making sure we're precise. However we might not want to be more
>> precise than the mass-deployment vocabularies we're basing it on, and
>> both DC and schema.org are pretty flexible. And of course it is
>> comically close to http://xkcd.com/927/ ...
>
> Sure but a broadly worded definition isn't trying to be completely prescriptive.
>
> The defintion is going to be quite broad so only "precise" in the sense of a defintion at all.  "it's a title" - we don't constrain what a 'title' is.
>
> This, and Ivan's message, are just about whether the same broad definition is given a URI name of not.  Having "http://w3/csv#" and the list in the original message seem no more than "data on the web" to me.

In fact, that is true, something like that is probably a way to go. When generating an RDF for, say, 'title'

- if there is a @context that assigns a URI to 'title', use that as a predicate URI
- otherwise use http://www.w3.org/ns/csvw#title

ie, there is a URI, you are correct. Except that we do not, normatively, define any kind of skos or owl or whatever equivalence to dc:title or schema:title; users can do that if they wish.

Ivan

> 	Andy
>

>> Dan

----