Re: Provenance

Christopher,

I think it is a good idea to add some provenance information to the output. Do you think you can write down, at least in a sketch, what triples you think should be generated using the metadata information we have in the metadata document?

Thanks

Ivan

P.S. You probably know the saying: no good deed goes unpunished:-)

On 21 May 2014, at 11:02 , Christopher Gutteridge <cjg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> While it's not a top priority, I see an exciting use for some of the recent provenance vocab. work. For the Tabular(CSV)->Graph(RDF) route anyhow, as it's possible to add extra triples. We may well know the URI of the source table, and the URI of the metadata document. That's provenance right there. I would suggest (not as a high priority) that a recommended RDF way to express this relationship could be included in this work. eg. The triples in the output RDF saying it was generated from source document(s) X, using metadata Y and process Z at a given time & date by an agent (the organisation/person/system making the conversion).
>
> It should be just a handful of extra triples, and optional, but it would be good to give people a standard to follow. And also URIs to reference for the process followed (the algorithms being discussed now).
>
> You can see an example of what I mean at the top of this TTL file:
> http://data.southampton.ac.uk/dumps/jargon/2014-05-08/jargon.ttl
> (ignore the http://purl.org/void/provenance/ns/ triples, that was the previous vocab we used and are now transitioning to http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#)
> --
> Christopher Gutteridge --
> http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg
>

> University of Southampton Open Data Service:
> http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
>
> You should read the ECS Web Team blog:
> http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/

----