RE: lack of clear motivation for transforming from CSV to JSON or XML

Hi Alfredo – great point (and was thinking similarly). The issue is that I’m in “requirements mode” and jumping straight to JSON-LD is “solution” ☺. What I am wondering is “are there any examples I can cite where transformation to JSON is a crucial part of the outcome?”.

Any ideas?

Jeremy

From: Alfredo Serafini [mailto:seralf@gmail.com]
Sent: 12 March 2014 16:15
To: Tandy, Jeremy
Cc: W3C CSV on the Web Working Group
Subject: Re: lack of clear motivation for transforming from CSV to JSON or XML

Hi what about adopting json-d for this?
I mean: json-ld can be seen as a good compromise because it offers a "natural" RDF conversion, while it is actually  a specific JSON dialect. As it is almost impossible to provide mapping for every kind of json dialect (and CSV formats too!), the usage of a specific json syntax as a reference might simplify things, and json-ld already embeds RDF logic.

Alfredo

(FAO: Rufus Pollock)

At today’s teleconf<http://www.w3.org/2014/03/12-csvw-minutes.html> we raised the issue that the current set of use cases<http://w3c.github.io/csvw/use-cases-and-requirements/> lack an explicit motivation to convert from CSV to JSON or XML.

There is a clear requirement to transform from CSV to RDF<http://w3c.github.io/csvw/use-cases-and-requirements/#R-CsvToRdfTransformation> – which implies that is should be possible to convert CSV to one or more of the RDF encodings (incl. TTL, RDF/XML and JSON-LD) …

But there’s a risk that this RDF-centric approach misses a concern simply about, say, converting CSV to simple JSON.

In particular, we noted how “CSV-2-JSON” appears to be central to the work of Rufus Pollock et al.

Rufus – are you able to comment and, preferably, provide a use case which illustrates the utility of CSV-2-JSON conversion?

Many thanks, Jeremy