Re: what about CSV fragments?

hello dan and ivan.

On 2014-07-09, 11:05, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 9 July 2014 11:02, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

thanks!

>> As for the core remark: I think the simple answer is: it seems that no use cases were submitted (so far) that relied on fragment identifiers. If you have a real-life case for that: please send information to us and we would be happy to include it!
> A few people have mentioned it, e.g. on the list
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-csv-wg/2014Feb/0123.html
> I think there's some awareness, but as Ivan says maybe it would help
> to have a more explicit use case on the topic?

i don't have one from what i am doing right now, and i probably
shouldn't just make one up. i was mostly surprised that nobody seems to
be interested enough to even mention it in the UCR document. it seemed
to me when it comes to scenarios such as annotations
(reviewing/criticizing, or making any other kind of statement about CSV
cells or rows/columns), communities such as linked data or government
data probably would want to be able to identify CSV fragments. maybe
not, and if nobody is interested in fragments enough to have them
included, then they shouldn't be.

to me, the question is: are you just looking at CSV resources as big
chunks of data you're feeding into conversion or mapping workflows, or
are you looking at CSV resources as being treated as persistent web
resources. if the latter is a goal, then i'd be surprised if there were
no scenarios where making statements about fragments wouldn't be useful.

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |