Re: IRI Templates

On Feb 21, 2014, at 2:12 AM, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:

> +CC public-csv-wg(-comments)
>

> On Friday, February 21, 2014 6:33 AM, David Booth wrote:
>> Personally, I would prefer not to overload JSON-LD this way.  This
>> essentially amounts to a transformation rule.  And although
>> transformation rules are useful and neede, I would prefer to have them
>> specified as a separate layer.
>
> I've raised an issue regarding IRI templates 2 years ago [1] and we
> concluded back then to "not add any normative language relating to IRI
> templates or other transformations".
>
> As is, framing is not really suitable for this as it expects the input to
> already be valid JSON-LD. I think what you want is a generic mechanism to
> map CSV to RDF. You can then easily serialize it (and frame it) in JSON-LD.
>
> I haven't followed the work in the CSV WG at all till now but it appears to
> me that there exists already an (almost complete) solution that you could
> leverage: R2RML [2] (I'm sure this has already been discussed). If you add a
> way to reference a JSON-LD context or frame, you are quite close to what you
> want to achieve I think:
>  CSV -> RDF -> JSON-LD

You might glance at the CSV-LD wiki page [3], as I've proposed just using JSON-LD frames as a representational format that can be used to help map CSV to JSON-LD, so it's not really about a framing algorithm, but about using the frame representation to help map CSV column values into a JSON structure. As I said in a response to Manu, the IRI templates could be an extension made in the CSV-LD spec, and do not need to be described as any part of JSON-LD directly.

Gregg

[3] https://www.w3.org/2013/csvw/wiki/CSV-LD