Re: Suggestion on ISSUE-7 in "Model for Tabular Data and Metadata on the Web": Allow metadata in any RDF-enabled format

On 07/04/14 11:31, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 07/04/14 01:09, Jeni Tennison wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Thanks for raising this. I think that there’s a distinction between
>> the metadata about the dataset (eg its author, when it was published)
>> being mappable to RDF and the standardised format of the metadata
>> document that provides annotations about CSV files being in an RDF
>> format.
>>
>> Being able to map CSVs and metadata about CSVs into RDF is very much
>> part of what the Working Group needs to do, and Andy and Gregg are
>> taking that work forward at the moment. That is what the charter is
>> referring to when it says "It should also be possible to encode this
>> metadata in RDF”.
>>
>> Regarding the format of the metadata document: being able to use CSV
>> for that document is exactly where my thinking is going as well. As
>> you say, it means that it can be mapped to other formats if required.
>> I think it also makes the creation of the metadata/schema accessible
>> to non-developers, which is a good thing to achieve if we can manage it.
>>
>> A generic format would be something like:
>>
>> about,property,value,type or language
>> ,name,Example,
>> ,author,Jeni Tennison,
>> ,created,2014-04-06,date
>> col=1,name,Name,en
>> col=1,name,Nom,fr
>> col=1,required,true,boolean
>>
>> A more specific format would need to look something like:
>>
>> row,col,name@en,name@fr,description@en,description@fr,required,type,lang
>> ,,Example,,,,
>> ,1,Name,Nom,Someone’s name.,,true,string,en
>> ,2,Email,,Someone’s email.,true,URL,
>>
>> which is messy for handling things like multiple languages, which are
>> moderately likely within schemas.
>>
>> Curious what other people think of this approach.
>>
>> Jeni
>
> JSON would seem to be a viable alternative.
>
> CSV might be manageable with a spreadsheet but the a col per possibility
> gets into accidental errors, like being lang=fr and a URI datatype
> (because of denormalization!).

(Sorry - "save" / "send" confusion)

CSV metadata might be conveniently manageable with a spreadsheet but
having a column per possibility gets into accidental errors, like being
lang=fr and a URI datatype.