Re: Default font-size of several form controls: 13.3333px in Chrome; 21.3333px in Firefox

Le 2018-04-18 17:50, Felix Miata a écrit :
> Gérard Talbot composed on 2018-04-18 16:05 (UTC-0400):
>
>> Firefox 52.7.3 and Firefox 61.0a1 (today's nightly build)
>
>> input {
>> (...)
>>  font: -moz-field;
>> (...)
>> }
>
>> coming from resource://gre-resources/forms.css
>
>> and computes to 21.3333px
>
> What size font is used in your starter and desktop menus and other DE
> UI?

Felix,

(most likely expressed in pt unit)
General: 16
Monospace: 18
Small: 14
Toolbars: 16
Menu: 16
Window title: 16
(most likely expressed in pt unit)

> Which Linux DE are you using?

KDE plasma 5.8.6

> -moz-field is one of the old CSS fonts to inherit from
> the system.
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Font/fonts-mozf.html andor
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Font/fonts-system.html last modified before
> CSS
> redefined pt to mean px might be of some use here.
>
>> textarea {
>> (...)
>> font: medium -moz-fixed;
>> (...)
>> }
>> coming from resource://gre-resources/forms.css
>
>> and computes to 12px
>
> -moz-fixed is Gecko's and Quantum/Servo's way of specifying the user
> pref
> setting for monospace, which on *nix builds ships at 12px, which for an
> inane
> historical reason having to do with the anachronism that is 75 dpi
> bitmapped
> fonts from two+ decades ago, are 1px smaller than Windows' and Mac's
> 13px
> monospace default.
>
>> select {
>> (...)
>>  font: -moz-list;
>> (...)
>> }
>
>> coming from resource://gre-resources/forms.css
>
>> and computes to 21.3333px
>
> Same size as -moz-field
>
>> button,
>> input[type="reset"],
>> input[type="button"],
>> input[type="submit"] {
>> (...)
>>    font: -moz-button;
>> (...)
>> }
>> coming from resource://gre-resources/forms.css
>
>> and computes to 21.3333px
>
> Same size as -moz-field
>
>> Why is there so much difference with regards to default font size of
>> several form controls between Firefox and Chrome?
>
>> Why not use and rely on user's preferred font size instead? ... which
>> is
>> what I would expect. If my preferred font size as set in browser
>> preferences is 16px (or 17px or 18px), then I do not get 16px (or 17px
>> or 18px) in both browsers.
>
> CSS form control fonts were (still are?) intended to inherit fonts from
> the DE,

This is what I did not know before sending that email. I totally miss
that; totally unaware of.

> typically GTK for Linux even though the actual DE is not using Gnome or
> any of
> its relatives, e.g. KDE, TDE or anything QT-based.

I have
GTK2 Theme: Clearlooks
GTK3 Theme: Adwaita
Font: DejaVu Sans Condensed 16 (most likely pt, not px)

> Linux menu fonts long ago were typically 10pt (13.33px),

Yikes! Much too small for me.

I have menu font size set to 16pt which does convert to 21.33px

Interestingly, this means font size of form controls could vary a lot
from user to user...

> but most DEs shrunk
> them to 9pt to more closely resemble the 8pt scribble of Windows UI
> fonts,
> ostensibly to benefit most people migrating from Windows to Linux. Your
> 21.333
> may be coming from a GTK3 config file, or absence thereof, or a desktop
> DPI
> setting. What is your output from 'xrdb -query | grep dpi'?

Xft.dpi: 96