Re: [css-inline] Baseline Alignment Ahem Variant Needed

Hi Myles,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Myles C. Maxfield <mmaxfield@apple.com>
wrote:

> +John & Rossen & Dominik for the question at the end. (Sorry if I added
> the wrong person, but I'm hoping you could find the answer out 😊)
>
> In the font I attached to the previous email, I modified the control
> points of all the glyphs. I subtracted 200 from all the glyphs'
> Y-coordinates, as well as from the font's ascent and the font's descent.
> Then I fixed up the paths for the É and p glyphs so their edges are
> correctly still at Y=0. (And then deleted the C glyph because the Ç glyph
> is already in the font and has the same shape.)
>
> Regarding the other two fonts I made: there are many tables which can be
> in a font, and most browsers ignore most of those tables (which isn't a
> bug; it just means they don't get extra fancy stuff). It appears that none
> of the browsers use the "bsln" table nor the "BASE" table (WebKit doesn't
> even claim to use them, but I can't speak for the other browser vendors).
> Testing browsers using a mechanism which isn't claimed to be supported
> anywhere would be a mistake.

If this is the question you meant to have answered: blsn seems to AAT only
so we dont't support that. I briefly checked info on BASE
<https://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/base.htm> but I don't think we
currently incorporate information from the BASE table into line layout in
Chrome. Would probably be interesting to look into it more, though.

Dominik