Re: What's the difference between AHEM____.TTF and ahem3.ttf ?

On 03/24/2016 01:26 PM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Gérard Talbot
> <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org> wrote:
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/ahem/
>> AHEM____.TTF      2014-05-30 00:04   12K
>>
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/
>> ahem3.ttf         2014-05-30 00:04   14K
>>
>> What is the adequate usage for ahem3.ttf ?
>>
>> In what way is ahem3.ttf different (or better) from (than) AHEM____.TTF ?
>
> I asked this question last November in
> <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2015Nov/0007.html>,
> which covered a bit of background about what the differences are, and
> the difference in licenses. I seem to remember trying to resolve this
> back in 2010, but I have no idea how. Sadly, nobody seems to know
> anymore…

Okay, I called up Arron Eicholz. Apparently this is a replacement
of the old Ahem font, that includes some glyphs above the ASCII
range to allow testing it. It was created by Sergei at Microsoft.

We should probably move it into the ahem/ directory and replace
the AHEM____.TTF file. There are two ways of doing that:

a) Replace AHEM____.TTF
b) Delete AHEM____.TTF and move ahem3.ttf to fonts/ahem.ttf

I'm not sure what's up with the AHEM____.TTF naming, if it indicates
some kind of special compatibility with ancient Windows systems or
what...

Fonts are scary. Tell me what to do. >_<;;

~fantasai