Re: [css-backgrounds-3] border-image-slice-007 bad linkage to its border-image-source

Le 2016-12-02 05:04, Thierry MICHEL a écrit :
> Gérard,
>
> Thanks for your input on the corrupted files.
>
> Isn't it odd that the following sections in the spec have no tests ?

Yes and no. Most test authors do not spend or do not want to spend over
1 min. on choosing the precise and best link to spec. So, I assume, they
just quickly pick a section of the spec which seems okay, reasonable to
them. Most tests in all test suites do not target specific statements of
the specs.

Eg you gave:
6. Border Images [NO tests]
but this section is an introduction to border-image properties and it
shows how border-image works with 2 examples.

Many months ago, I "cleaned" one image (in Example 27 in
https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#border-images
) with Gimp and intended to do more tests with it. I am attaching it to
this email:

groovy-lime-border-image.png , 11.5 Kilo-bytes

- - - - -

Eg. If a border-image test is testing that border-image properties do
not affect layout, then such test would have to be in "section 6. Border
Images" because this is the section that makes such statement for the
first time.

- - - - -

You gave
6. Border Images [NO tests]
but right now, the built test suite has 3 tests

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/chapter-6.htm#s6

although we can clearly see that those 3 tests should be instead in
other sub-sections of section 6.

- - - - -

Another example:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/border-image-11.htm

should be most likely filename-renamed and then linked to section 6.4
6.4. Edge Overhang: the ‘border-image-outset’ property
https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-border-image-outset
and not linked to section
6.1. Image Source: the ‘border-image-source’ property
https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-border-image-source

- - - - -

> Can we consider a proper coverage of the spec  without tests for the
> following sections?

Difficult question to answer right now. Ideally, we would have to first
enumerate all testable statements of the spec, then list them,
distribute them into each sections and sub-sections of the spec and then
verify if we have at least 1 test for each testable statement by
examining all the tests we have.

It is normal, expectable to see some sub-sections with just a few (say,
5) tests and some other sub-sections with more (say, 25) tests or many
more (say, 50) tests.

- - - - -

There are many other issues and problems with tests of test suites;
coverageability is just one issue, often difficult to assess.
- Some tests are wrong, incorrect, bad; among them, some could be
rehabilitated, some can not.
- Many tests are not streamlined, compact, minimized.
- Many tests are missing a clear description of what the tests
themselves are trying to test, are claiming to be testing, are
targeting, verifying exactly.
- A huge majority of tests do not reuse already created and available
reference files: this increases test suites complexity, increase
unneedlessly number of files and duplicates efforts, etc.
- Shepherd system, a wonderful system in my opinion, is under-used.
- Many test authors are no longer reachable via email, so they won't
correct, improve their tests.
- Etc...

Gérard

--