Re: Towards a better testsuite: Metadata

On 12/04/2016 18:58, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> there if it isn't self-evident, somewhere, typically in a comment. A
> comment seems easier and more normal syntax for such descriptions than
> anything else, and hence less to remember.

wait, wait....  markup is about labelling data so that it has meaning

for example, it's quite possible that some application will want to pick
up the assertion and do something with it.  I certainly need to be able
to do that for the i18n test suite results.  In that case, it needs to
be labelled as an assertion in some way.

sorry to raise a difficulty.  I'd like a simple solution to this too,
but as i said i agree with Florian that if we use the title element
no-one (well very few people) will give specific enough information in a
title element to allow for proper understanding of the test.

unless the test author has a form-based tool for generating tests, i
think they need to write some markup.  If this were xml we could invent
a simple assertion element in the head next to the title element, but
it's not.  I (unfortunately) can't think of anything shorter and simpler
than a meta element, even if we were to break the semantics.

ri