Re: margin-collapse-021

Le 2016-04-05 06:05, Ms2ger a écrit :
> Hey Gérard,
>
> I had a question about
> css21/margin-padding-clear/margin-collapse-021.xht [1],

XHTML version:
[src]
http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/margin-padding-clear/margin-collapse-021.xht

HTML version:
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css21_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/margin-collapse-021.htm

> and since you're
> listed as the reviewer, I guessed you'd be the best person to ask.
>
> The assertion states "For HTML pages the 'body' element's margins
> collapse.", but I can't find anything in the linked section [2] that
> backs that up. Could you give me a pointer?

Ms2ger, you are correct. There is nothing in the linked section backing
this up. What's wrong is the "For HTML pages" chunk and the HTMLonly
flag. That test is not perfectly coherent.

First, for XHTML documents, the body element's margin collapses too. So,
the HTMLonly flag should not be in that test. The test was most likely
created to verify that, since "Margins of the root element's box do not
collapse.", then such exclusion, such restriction does not apply to its
first child element, which is the body element.

Second, the [src] file was an XHTML document and was submitted with the
HTMLonly flag... which is inherently contradictory.

Third, the test declares the Ahem font but, as created, there is no need
to resort, to use the Ahem font in that test. Nowhere the Ahem glyphs
are being used in that test. So, "font: 20px/1em serif;" instead of
"font: 20px/1em Ahem;" could have been declared.

Ms2ger, I modified the test only in relation to the incorrect HTMLonly
flag:

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/4089c830b885

Gérard

--