Re: Harness Timeout versus <html class="reftest-wait">

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 18:07:48 -0400
To: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
On Thursday 2015-09-17 16:28 -0400, Gérard Talbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My message here is mostly a wiki-documentation topic.

> used to be the way tests were coded in order for them to wait before
> comparing with a reference.
>
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/spec/css21/content/class%3D%22reftest-wait%22/
>
> Now, we are supposed to use

> or

> to achieve, to create such wait.
>
> Is my assumption/supposition correct here?

Although I'm not as familiar with the <meta name="timout">, I think
these are two different things.

reftest-wait is a class that should be removed when the test is
ready to be snapshotted.

However, a test harness needs a mechanism to give up on tests that
fail to remove this; for this, it uses a timeout, after which it
marks the test as having failed because it never completed.  <meta
name="timeout"> looks like it exists to adjust that timeout.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.